Kheer is probably one of the most popular Indian desserts, prepared at several occasions. It is one of my favourite combo with Daal puri(Stuffed Lentil Fried Bread). This rice kheer recipe is for those lazy mornings or gatherings when you don’t want to put in much effort to make a stunning, no-fail dessert. A lot of occasions still call for an authentic dessert, Kheer is the safest bet.
The recipe is extremely simple and you can make while doing or cooking something else, all it needs is stirring at intervals till you achieve the right consistency. Although, you can go for long grain basmati but the best results are achieved with the short grain basmati rice, the bullet rice(available in South India) or any fragrant short grain rice that is available to you. I don’t like the kheer to be extremely sweet so this proportion will make moderately sweet kheer but you can add adjust the sweetness according to your tastebuds.
Cashew- a handful
Raisins- a handful
Pistachio- for garnish
1. Wash the rice carefully and soak for an hour.
2. Boil the milk and once it comes to a boil, add rice and give a good stir. Add Cardamoms.
3. Let it cook for 15-20mins stirring at regular intervals till the milk has thickened.
4. Add sugar and let it cook for another 10 mins or till the sugar has dissolved.
5. Add dry fruits and transfer in serving bowls, garnish. Chill and Serve!
Tip: If you’re in a hurry or you forgot to soak the rice, soak it for 15mins in hot water.
You can also add crushed cardamoms for strong cardamom flavour.