Chicken Tikka Pizza- a perfect blend of Indian and Italian flavours to suit our palette. This thin crust Pizza with a crunchy crust, loaded with toppings as much cheese you like is a recipe for a hearty meal.
Everyone loves Pizza, I haven’t met a single person that doesn’t enjoy it. And, a good pizza is a deal breaker, it can make you the best host. My family loves the ones that I make, they find mine much better than the take away. I am more than happy to oblige (I get to eat it too ;)). Once in a while we have pizza parties with 4-6 pizza on the table, instant garlic bread on the sides and that’s about it.
I love to eat and I love to cook (in that order), and I can shamelessly admit that I love to cook for myself. And, I think it’s very important to develop that love, if you love eating as much as cooking or more, you would put your heart and soul into a dish. And, that my friend is the secret ingredient of any recipe. Pizza is something I absolutely love, but not to the degree that I will relish a bad one just because it’s a pizza.
I realised I haven’t shared this recipe with you guys, I made them this weekend for dinner and everyone relished it. Here’s the recipe and the process from scratch. The best part is you can prepare the topping ahead of time (I always prepare it a day ahead and put it in the fridge) and the rest of the process will take no time. For this recipe I have used my recipe for any thin crust pizza, you can also check out my Paneer & Capsicum thin crust pizza recipe where I have shared step by step pictorial description of how to make a pizza base from scratch.
How to make a chicken tikka pizza from scratch
For the Pizza Base
All purpose Flour- 1cup
Instant Yeast- 1/2tspn
Sugar- 1/2 tspn
Garlic powder- 1/4tspn
Salt- to taste
Olive oil- 4tspn
For Chicken Tikka
Chicken (boneless) – 300gms
Garlic paste- 2tspn
Ginger paste- 1tspn
Lime juice- 1tspn
Salt- to taste
Garam masala Powder- 1tspn
Kashmiri Chili powder- 2tspn
For the Pizza Sauce
Tomato Ketchup- 1tblspn
Salt- a pinch
Italian mixed herbs- 1tspn
1. In a bowl of warm water, add sugar and yeast. let it rest for 5-10mins. In a seperate bowl, mix APF, salt, garlic powder.
2. Add yeast mixture, oil and knead for a good 5-7 minutes. Transfer in a lightly oiled bowl, brush some oil on top of the dough, cover and let it rise for 45mins.
3. Now for the toppings cut chicken into bite size pieces, marinate it in ginger-garlic paste, salt, Kashmiri chili powder and lemon juice. Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
4. In a bowl add curd/yogurt, chickpea flour, garam masala powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, oil and make a smooth paste. Add this to the chicken marinade. Let it rest for 15mins.
5. Heat some butter in a shallow pan, transfer the marinated chicken, fry until each side gains a nice color or it becomes a little charred.
6. Chop rest of the toppings. Mix all the ingredients under the pizza sauce and keep aside.
7. Preheat your oven to 180degrees. Dust your rolling board with some flour, transfer your dough and roll out into a circle with a help of a rolling pin.
8. At this stage you can prebake the pizza base if you don’t have a pizza stone. bake it for 5 mins on 200degrees.
9. Let it cool on a wire rack and proceed after 10 mins. Brush olive oil on the sides.
10. Smear pizza sauce, sprinkle some grated cheese, then with toppings and grate cheese over the top, generously. Bake it at 200degrees for 5-7mins.
11. Sprinkle some Italian herbs and chili flakes on top. Serve hot!
Note: I have used instant yeast here and it doesn’t require proofing but I do it as a practice and to be sure it’s working. If you’re using active dry yeast, the quantity and the process will remain the same however increase the proofing time by 15-20mins compared to instant yeast.
Tip: If you don’t have a pizza stone, inverted baking sheet works well as a substitute but if you can invest in one, do it by all means 🙂
You can double the recipe of the pizza dough if you want to make two or so on. I made 4 pizzas and I adjusted the ingredients accordingly and it works out, every time.