Chicken Korma is a Mughlai style chicken preparation with a burst of spices and rich flavour. The subtle balance of whole spices and ground spices gives a unique but delicious result. Best paired with Paratha, Naan, Pulao or Matar Pulao.
If you want to try a new chicken curry recipe or you’ve got to throw a party and want to try a no-fail recipe, this is what you need to try. This is an heirloom recipe, one that’s been tried and tested over a thousand times in my mum’s kitchen, probably in my grandmother’s kitchen and mine too. And, I make this when I don’t want to rack my brain over the menu, it has to be Chicken Korma.
This isn’t thin style gravy, the gravy here is rich due to addition of birista but you can adjust if you wish to pair it with rice. But, if you like thin style, check out this easy Murg ka Salan.
If you like my effort, do follow Khanpaan Facebook page to stay updated on the recipes posts. Do share your feedback in the comments section below. If you try out this recipe, I’d love to see on instagram, tag me if you post or DM me your recreations- I’m @Khanpaan.in. On to the recipe now!
Chicken Korma | How to make Chicken Korma
Onion- 4 (Medium, thinly sliced)
Curd- 1 Cup
Black Pepper Powder- 1tspn
Kashmiri Chili Powder- 2tspn
Bay Leaves- 1
Green Cardamom- 3
Salt- to taste
For the Spice paste
Onion- 1 (Large)
Garlic- 1 Pod
Ginger- 1 inch
Green Cardamom- 3
Mace- few strands
- Marinate Chicken in half the quantity of the curd for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a Kadai, fry sliced onions until golden brown. Keep aside.
- In the same, kadai, fry the chicken until it changes colour. Keep aside.
- Heat 2tblspn oil and add Bay leaves and other whole spices, once it splutters add spice paste.
- Add black pepper powder, Kashmiri chili powder, Salt and mix.
- Crush fried onions (Birista) to this and saute until the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add fried Chicken and give it a good stir. Add remaining curd and mix.
- Pour sufficient water to immerse the chicken in gravy and cover.
- Let it cook for 20-25 minutes. Adjust salt and gravy.
- Serve hot with Paratha, Naan or Pulao.
Note: You can half a teaspoon of turmeric if you like however it’s made without it and you can skip it like I do.